Monday, December 29, 2008

Strange Fruit...

Growing up we learned of many historical events which were supposed to not only teach us about our history but also give us a sense of appreciation for our culture. As a child I did not realize how it could possibly be vital to my everyday life. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have to work so hard.

As a child, I remember going on trips to St.Louis and seeing my family dress in traditional Afrikan clothing. In the midst of my naivety I thought they were out of their minds merely because I knew we weren't African; I use that loosely.

I felt weird and wouldn't really worship when we went to church being that I was the odd ball in normal clothes. Its crazy because the past few times we have went out there I would get mad if we didn't go. Hehe thats my grandma. I just love the picture.
I guess the reason I am writing all of this is because I have a new found interest in my culture. I love learning new things and this is something I'd like to dedicate majority of my time to. Most of the women in my family got the same tattoo which is the Ankh. No I do not believe tattooing the symbols of this culture will indite me into it but I believe it will give me an everyday reminder of what I am striving for.

The Ankh is a West African [Adinkra] symbol which represents life. My family uses it to represent 'family'. Above you will see it in the middle of Africa on the sign of my family's church. The loop at the top is believed to represent the female. The pole at the bottom is believed to represent the male. && together they make life. Whether you see it as a symbol of life, family, or Ra (the god of sun) it is believed to be a very powerful symbol and I love it.

A big part of my families beliefs is that once you learn something, or are given something, you should then pass it on. Similar to the movie Pay it Forward. This ideal is represented by the Sankofa bird.



Im sure you all have seen the next one.
GYE NYAME. I have no earthly idea how you pronounce it but in literal terms it means "except for god." Many people get this tattoo with the words "..only god can judge me," beneath it.

Now im not trying to lecture you on the African culture because I wouldnt even know where to start; I found interest in this and I wanted to put it out there in case anyone else did.

For more symbols type West African Adinkra Symbols into Google or Yahoo and you will get a list along with meanings.



Sincerely,
Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment